Monday, January 16, 2012
Trial and Error
Sometimes when I want to do something new, I have to stop trying to figure it out in my brain, and just start to do it. This is when the seam ripper gets used, I make many mistakes, but I also learn and sometimes even surprise myself.
Last week I heard about a local quilt being put together to raise money for breast cancer. Each person makes a pink and white 12 inch block, which will all get sewn together into a big auction quilt! I was stumped at what to do, and just started playing around with fabric I had. I knew I wanted to use a specific fabric, but thankfully decided to try it out on other scraps first, since I wasn't using a pattern. You can see the mistakes I made above. I figured out partial seams were needed and that I needed to add some extra fabric in places. Here's the finished block I made next.
Since today, Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday, has become a traditional day of service, I decided it was a great excuse to start another Project Linus Quilt.
I've had these scraps partially cut out into pieces to make bow tie blocks forever. This project became a UFO when I couldn't find a good "background" fabric for the bow ties. The Kona solid scraps from my architecture quilt were still laying around, and suddenly I knew exactly what to do. The Kona solids are PERFECT!!!