Wednesday, March 14, 2012

WIP Wed: More quilt alongs!


With my Solstice Star quilt top done, my scrap attack almost done, and Project Quilting with only one round left, I decided to join a few more quilt alongs.  Have I mentioned how much I love these?  It's so great to see how one pattern can be interpreted so many different ways!  I've also "met" so many wonderful people on these! 

The block above is part of the New York Beauty Quilt Along.  I'm still pretty new to paper-piecing, so I hope to become less of a novice after this series.  The curves thrown into the mix makes it even more of a challenge!  With my Solar Threads Etsy store, and our solar panels that power our house, I just couldn't resist!  My plan is to make them with all of my blue and yellow fabric scraps/stash... yellow suns in a blue sky...

Another QAL that really "hooked" me is the granny square ones that are popping up.  I finished my 2nd block, and hope to use all of the charm squares that I recently got in a local swap.  I'm not sure if they'll make a very big quilt, but I'll just have to play it by ear.

I also just had to show you what I got at a local thrift store yesterday.  I've been really wanting to start quilting with different fabrics other than cotton.  I recently bought some linen with a nice 50% off coupon to try out, and last fall, I found some 100% silk mens' shirts at the same thrift store.  I was going to cut them up and sew with them, but showed them to my husband first, and he liked them so much that they're now in his wardrobe :-).  I keep looking for more, but haven't found any.  Yesterday, I spied these all-silk ties for 50 cents each, and couldn't resist.  I may have to try out a New York Beauty block with them, or a Dresden fan, or ???

As usual, I'm linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced WIP Wed.  Come join us and see what everyone else is up to!!

3 comments:

Kit Lang said...

Your New York Beauty is beautiful, and you KNOW I highly recommmend "other than cotton" for quilting. :)

I also love those granny squares too! As you know, I'm not a "block" girl - but I may have to make one. Is there a free pattern that you have a link to? (If not, I'll just google around - or god forbid, actually crack open my EQ7 software. lol)

Lee said...

Love your sunshine-y NYB block! Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday. : )

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

The center of the NYB is brilliant! (pun intended). I considered for a moment or two doing the NYB Quilt Along.... but knew I wouldn't have an opportunity.... so I have passed. NYB is on my list.... but the list is long....