Sunday, February 12, 2012
"Tool Time" (Project Quilting challenge 3)
I barely got "Project Quilting"'s 3rd challenge done this week! The challenge was to create something with "tools" as the theme. We had to incorporate 4 tools into the quilt.
The kids and I have been making "bleach" T-shirts on a regular basis for years now. It's the perfect thing to do on a hot summer day when the kids are bored to death! We take dark solid T-shirts, I let the boys arrange objects on their shirts (often making ones for me and my husband too), then use a spray bottle to spray bleach on them (to make the hands, above, I traced the boys' hands onto cereal boxes, and cut them out). As the bleach reacts, it leaves the silhouette on the shirt. I remove the objects, and plunge the shirts into a bucket of water once they start reacting, to stop the reaction. It's a whole lot of fun!
I decided to try this approach on my "tool time" quilt, using black fabric and tools that I use regularly, a knife in the kitchen, scissors in the sewing room, a hand shovel in the garden, and needle-nose pliers, for beading, and various other things.
I had to try a few times to get it right, and the weather wasn't exactly ideal, but I'm pretty happy at how it turned out. I figured batiks would be the best type of fabric to pair it with, and used up some of my scraps as well.