Thursday, February 9, 2012

Ott light, new jacket, and split personality



Thank you so much for all of the wonderful comments yesterday.  Most are things I've tried again and again, but there were a few new things.  Pfaff also wrote again, and suggested many of the same things (bigger needle, different thread, etc, etc,), but also suggested that I try a spool net over the spool.  Hmmm  that's a new one too, so I hope to play around with it later today...

After my rant yesterday, I just have to make sure I give the flip side, and tell you about a great customer service experience that I also had this week.  I have been wanting to buy an "Ott" lamp ever since I moved my sewing stuff into our dark bedroom.  I watched Jo-Anns, and pounced when I saw them on sale for 50% off and free shipping.  Upon screwing the bulb in and flipping the switch, the bulb made a loud pop, and started smoking!!  DH quickly unpluged it, and removed the bulb.  YIKES!  He put in another florescent bulb (something that I've since learned SHOULD NOT BE DONE), and that worked fine.  So the lamp works, but the bulb must have had a problem.  I called Jo-anns, who was more than happy to replace it, and even cover the shipping (I also learned that I can't bring things into Jo-anns stores for returns that I bought from the internet), but I had to send in the whole lamp and bulb, since they were sold together.  They also recommend that I call Ott and see if they could help.  So I did.  I talked to a customer service rep, and explained what happened, and they immediately agreed to send me a new light bulb!!  All I had to do is email them a copy of the receipt.  It's in the mail right now!!  They also told me to immediately remove the regular bulb from the lamp, as apparently the Ott bulbs do not produce much heat, and regular bulbs can, even melt the plastic lamp shade :-O.  I must say I'm really impressed with their response.

I also finished my jacket.  I used the above pattern, which is really cute, but I'm not sure I like how it looks on me.  It's very cute, I just don't have the right body for it. I think it'd look good on a taller person, but it's nice and warm.  The fabric is a light-weight sweat-shirt woven kind of fabric... flannel on the "wrong side", so it'll be great to wear at night when I get cold watching TV!
Lastly, see that red button below my face up there to the right?  Yep, I finally signed up for Pinterest, and have spent a LOT of time on their site!  Wow!  I really didn't think I'd like it as much as I do.  It's like a visual bookmark tool!  Combine that with my bog, my almost inactive Twitter account (I hate the brevity of the "tweet"), Facebook, and other various social networking sites, I'm feel almost like my personality is split into many different ways.  It's really a strange feeling.  It almost makes me, at times, want to delete them all and go back to the "way things were", but I also love all of the people I've "met", ideas that are shared, and the tons and tons of information and inspiration.  I must admit that I do like being a small part of it!!  If you're still reading, thanks for that!!

3 comments:

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

I think you look great in the jacket!

Anonymous said...

I also like the jacket on you.

Shanna of Fiber of All Sorts said...

Don't leave! And thanks for sharing! Awesome jacket!! Whoop.