Friday, February 25, 2011

Mardi Gras Quilt

After finishing up my jar quilt last week, I spent the week-end doing something I've put off for a while... sorting all my fabric scraps.  I have enough now to make more than a few quilts if I wanted to.  I dumped them all out into a big pile, then started sorting them by color into some smaller shoe-box sized clear plastic bins.  I had put off the task, but once I got started it was quite satisfying.

Once that was done, I started planning out my next quilt.  I grew up mostly in Louisiana, and this time of year means one thing..... Mardi Gras!!  The 3 colors that represent Mardi Gras are purple, yellow, and green.  Some say that the colors represent justice (purple), peace or faith (green), and power (yellow, or gold).  Louisiana State University took the purple and yellow as their school colors, while my Alma mater, Tulane University (which used to be the University of Louisiana) adopted the green, (as well as light blue).  I had plenty of scraps of each color, and added white and black to make up a traditional "king's crown" block.  I used a pattern out of the book, "More Quilts From The Quiltmaker's Gift".  I'm so delighted at the result.  I hope to get borders on it and get it quilted up this week-end.  Then I hope to get another quilt finished before starting something else...

Unfortunately, our ISP has been causing us much trouble lately, and half the time I can't even check email.  It's made blogging and many other things increasingly frustrating.  They said they'd have it fixed by today, but this has been going on for weeks now, so I'm not counting on much.  They are the only high speed Internet in the area, so if we have to switch, I may be on here much less :-(.  I'll keep you posted...

Hope you have a great week-end!!

2 comments:

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

I love it! That is one cool quilt.

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

Very nice color combo... striking as a matter of fact with the white and black accents.

Who is your ISP again... big cable co?