Wednesday, October 12, 2011

WIP Wed: Halloween Quilt


It's Wednesday, so I'm linking up with Lee, at Freshly Pieced WIP Wed link party!  Come join us!

As soon as school started this fall, my good friend Kathleen invited me to go to a fabric shop that she's wanted to take me to ever since I moved here, and met her.  It's The Sewing Basket, in Prosser, Wa.  I don't think I've ever seen so many bolts of fabric in such a small place!  It's overwhelming!  I concentrated on getting some boy fabric for quilts I'm hoping to make my sons for Christmas this year, but couldn't pass up this Halloween fabric that she had there.  If you want to shop there, she has an on-line shop that has very generous prices.  She has a huge selection!  I only bought a half yard of each, so it's just going to be a lap quilt, which is fine, because I'm not much of a home decor person, and have gotten rid of much holiday decor in our last 2 cross-country moves.  But one of the things I love the most about quilts is how little room they take up!!

I decided to strip piece this quilt.  I love this technique, as it makes a quilt come together fast!

There's a lot of fun Halloween fabric out there, but do you know what really "hooked" me about this fabric?  It GLOWS IN THE DARK!!!!  Is that cool or what?!?!  I think I'm more excited about it than my boys LOL!


I also finished up my 2nd Project Linus Quilt top.  I didn't originally intend it to be such a lovely fall quilt, but it is!  I used up blocks that I had from an old UFO/WIP.  I didn't have too many, so it's a smaller quilt, but will be perfect for Project Linus!  I hope to get it pinned and quilted soon! 

I also am in the middle of making the binding for my Bliss Quilt.  I hope to have it finished up soon as well!

By the way, both of these quilts were inspired from patterns in the book, Quilts From the Quiltmakers Gift.  Both the original children's book, and the "Quilts from" are WONDERFUL books!!!



6 comments:

Alli said...

What a good idea to make your quilt that way! I'd be excited about glow-in-the-dark fabric, too. :D

The Thompsons said...

That glow in the dark is so cool!

Lynette said...

So cute! Love those glowing smiles. :D

Judee said...

Good for you to be doing donation quilts! You can make what you want all the time.

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

Good way to get rid of a pesky UFO/unused blocks!!! the pumpkin smiles are cute. You need to quilt in Glow in the dark thread!!! Superior makes some!

Lee said...

Awww, cute Halloween quilt! They're popping up all over the place this week! Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday. : )