Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Bloggers' Quilt Festival entry: Medical Lab Quilt


One of the first "link-ups" that I went to on-line was Amy's Bloggers' Quilt Festival on "Amy's Creative Side" Blog, only 1 year ago.  It was part of what got me hooked into the whole quilt blog world, because I found so many wonderful quilt blogs as I looked at each of the links!  I'm so excited to link up this year with my "Medical Lab Quilt".  Thank you Amy for creating this wonderful festival, and please take a look over there for some incredibly amazing quilts, and quilters.
Amy's Creative Side
I started sewing this quilt on January 1st, 2011, as part of a "Fun-a-day" program at our local art center.  The idea was to do something creative each day in January, then to get together in early February to share our work.  I knew right away that I wanted to make a quilt, but I wanted to stretch my skills by doing something not only different, but something to practice a new skill.  I had taken a free-motion quilting class several months earlier, and decided I wanted to practice these skills.  As a former medical technologist who worked in a hospital lab, I decided to pick the topic of things, mostly under the microscope, that I encountered in the lab.  Each day I thread painted a different quilt block.  You can see all of the blocks in my blog in the month of January, 2011.

I love this quilt because it combines 2 of my favorite things... science and quilting.  Not only did I get better at free-motion quilting, but I also used the "quilt as you go" method for the first time.  Right now it's on display at our local hospital, through the art center.  I truly had fun-a-day while making it too!

8 comments:

Sara said...

Creative endeavor----terrific quilt!

Cindy said...

This is great! I love the blending of your two favorite things. Now THAT is creative!! Just awesome!

Baa-Me Kniits said...

How cool is your quilt!! I am a veterinary nurse so the heartworm and the giardia were familiar. I bet it looks great on display in the hospital :-)

Becky Wolsk said...

Oh yay, Becky! The unusual, beautiful topic that you chose for Fun-a-Day was so fun to see everyday--definitely the coolest project I've seen so far in 2011. I love the red and black background, and the simple layout, since the blocks themselves are so intricate, it was great to give this such a straightforward design. Huge congrats--this is something that the BoingBoing.net blog should pick up so you get more publicity for it. Cheers, (the other) Becky in DC

Becky said...

Thanks everyone!!

stitchinpenny said...

What a creative idea. Great quilt.

Leanne said...

Wow, you should add some close ups of those circles - you did a great job creating all kinds of interesting stuff! Love it!

Nikki said...

Great quilt. Visited your January blog and looked at the circles and stories. Awesome!