Wednesday, November 16, 2011

WIP Wed: New Projects!

It's Wednesday, and as usual, I'm linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced's linky party!  Come join us! 

I'm afraid we've had some nasty respiratory bugs here in our house, which has kept me close to home, but luckily I've managed to stay healthy!  One good thing (I guess) about working in a hospital is that I think it really exposed me to so many viruses and such that I've built up quite an immunity to them.  Same is true for school teachers, I hear... It also taught me the importance of hand washing and surface cleaning...  I still have one home from school, but at their age, they don't need nearly as much "care", (but just as much TLC).  So, I've been able to get some sewing done.

My only "old" project in the works this week is my Summer Sampler Series Quilt.  I found some really cool clearance fabric to use for the back.  It's a map, and some of the town and city names are where I have relatives, which is pretty neat!  I bought all that they had left, which was about 2 2/3 yard, ALMOST what I need for the quilt back.  I hope to get the back sewn up, and then pin baste the whole thing this week.

As I was going through my stash, figuring what to make next, I came across a few fabric block panels that I bought in Michigan, and had thumb tacked up on my wall there.  We don't have nearly as much wall space here, so I decided to make a quilt quilt from them.  It's the first time I've used a panel, although I own a growing collection of them.  The quilt came together so FAST!  I ran out of the green fabric though, so I just need to buy a bit more to finish the borders.  I literally made this in one afternoon!  I love crows and ravens, and this will make a good Christmas quilt, but won't be so "festive" that I have to put it away in January!

I've also been working on Kindle Covers, but all of the wide black Velcro in town is sold out.  I'm guessing someone else bought it all to make things for our big craft fair.  I was hoping to drive to the nearest Jo-anns to get more (an hour away), but with a sick kid, I haven't been able to.

So I started cutting out a few more quilts instead.  I'm planning this one for my MIL.

But I'm really excited about this one!  Yes, that's the only fabric that will be in it!  If all goes well, I may have a super-easy nerdy quilt to blog about really soon!  Thanks for stopping by!!

5 comments:

Lee said...

Can't wait to see how you quilt your Summer Sampler! I really need to quilt mine soon, but realistically I think it will have to wait until after the holidays. So I'll live vicariously through you, LOL. Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday. : )

Sarah said...

Those crows look great! I've not really thought about using panels before but your right they would be fab for quick Christmas gifts.
Hope the poorly one gets better soon!

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

Can't wait to see more of your summer sampler, it looks beautiful.
How does all the wide black velcro in town get sold out! That's crazy. Good luck getting some in time for the holidays.

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

I hope your dudes are feeling better soon Becky!! sending mommy-love
~Monika

Sel said...

I hope the sick quidlings get better!

And those Kindle covers look awesome all stacked up and ready to go.

And that summer sampler looks lovely and fresh - are those batiks? (I love batiks!)