Tuesday, December 7, 2010

How to make a fabric gift bag

I'm linking up with "Quilt Story" blog's "Fabric Tuesday" today, and with the holiday season already here, I thought I'd share how I make gift bags for my family and friends. I just finished up a bunch to try to sell at a local gift shop, and took a few pictures along the way. They're super-easy to make (if you have a sewing machine), and can be used over and over again. Plus they'd be great for plane flights, as you can tuck it into a suitcase and keep the gift accessible for security searches. It's only a matter of putting the gift inside of the bag, and pulling the drawstring when you're ready to "wrap".

First, I start by cutting out the amount of fabric I need for the bag (big rectangle), turning it right sides together, and sewing 3 of the 4 sides together, leaving the top open. I leave 1 1/2 inch of one of the seams open at the top. You'll see why as I continue.

Next, I fold back the seam above the opening, and sew it like this:

Now, all I need to do is fold back about 3/4 inches at the top and sew 1/4 inch from the raw edge, to form a casing for the draw string. The last step makes a nice finished edge for the casing opening.

Now I use ribbon (that I bought on clearance Dec.26th, along with the Christmas fabric) to thread through the casing.

Secure them with a knot or bead, add a gift tag, then you're ready to go! I've been using my bags for many years, and can't remember the last time I bought gift wrap. They fold and store easily with all of the Christmas decorations.
I'll be the first to tell you that my kids go to public school, because I wouldn't have a clue as to how to teach them. It's not my strong point, so feel free to ask questions if you need further explanation :-).

6 comments:

Beth said...

Cute fabric.... It's such a great idea, but I would run out of bags, because I would have to steal them back.... because the fabric would be just what I need for a project!!!

Susan said...

Don't belittle yourself, your tutorial is great! I have got to try this for Christmas. :)

felicity said...

Great tutorial, especially the part where you finish the opening at the side before folding over the casing. Brilliant!!!

Becky said...

LOL Beth! Luckily, I still have yet (the desire) to make a Christmas quilt. And Susan, if only I could teach my kids 7th grade math (banging head on wall). Thanks for the kind words everyone! It's much more fun to attempt to teach sewing vs algebra!!

Kirie said...

What a lovely fabric you used for the bag :)
Great idea and thanks for the tute!
Best regards
Jo&cats

Quiltstory said...

That is so cute and simple, what a brilliant idea for wrapping! Thanks for sharing!!