Thursday, June 30, 2011

Organic Chemistry Quilt


Well, here it is, as of today:  Not quite finished...  I have the blocks all sewn together, but as I was cutting out the borders, I decided I needed to make them a bit different that I'd originally planned, and then I decided to piece together the back with all of the left over fabric that I had made the front with, which is proving to be a bit time consuming.

Then last night, DS1 broke his glasses (luckily an easy fix), so we had to go to the eye place today.  Short story long, it won't be in the modern quilt guild's contest, but now that the pressure's off, I may very well get the back pieced together and put it away until fall.  We'll see.  As I ironed the piece yesterday, I was once again reminded of why I just don't do much quilting in the summer!!  It's just too hot!!

Truth be told, I already started a few more fabric postcards today (a much more suitable summer project), and have totally enjoyed having a few "down" days with my boys.  I think we're all glad to be able to stay in one place for a while!!

Oh, and in case you notice, I know that there are a few "mistakes" on the quilt... a result I'm afraid more of using permanent ink to draw out the molecules than anything else.  Lesson learned.  I'm happy with how it turned out, glad I did it, but it isn't quite as I envisioned it.  It sure is one of a kind though LOL!  Glad I finally got something out of that organic chemistry class I took many years ago!!

3 comments:

Beth said...

Good thing your professor isn't giving you a grade.... But it will be a wonderful....

Enjoy your summer.

My Sweet Prairie said...

Awesome! Glad you are back.
Monika

scientificquilter said...

Becky, I really liked the end product here. Makes me think I need to synthesize this with my codon quilt idea from last year. This gives me a great boost into using hexagons for the good of science! :) Take care!