Friday, November 6, 2009

Room with a view

One thing that really surprised me about Pendleton, especially after living in the very flat Midwest, is how hilly it is. There are some seriously steep hilly roads here. We're not exactly in the mountains, but it makes for some wonderful views and much appreciated change of scenery. One of the best things about our house is the view! It's really the first house we've ever lived in that is up out of a valley of sorts. There's a "green" (ha!) area behind our house that is a common area that will never be developed. The whole neighborhood has these spaced through out. I love this idea! Every day I see my new neighbors walking up and down the paths that go through them. There is a park at the bottom of the hill that has about a mile of paved walking paths, soccer fields, playgrounds and a small creek that goes through it. Across the street from the park is one of my son's schools.

Best of all, I now have a kitchen window again!!! I am so excited about that. You'd think that every kitchen would have a window, but not our last house. Here's the view I've had for the last 3 years in Michigan:



Now is that a crime or what? What a miserable thing to look at while doing the dishes and preparing food....

Well, the kitchen god rewarded me this time with a lovely window with a view to look out on: Ah... much better... The school is the long yellow building on the right side.



I also took this picture of our neighborhood from across the street up on the opposite hill. As you can see, it's at the very edge of town.



One last view I'd like to get rid of.....

1 comment:

Laura Martone said...

Michigan not hilly? What? I love the hilly road (Meridian) that leads to our street. Guess that just goes to show what perspective can do. I'm used to flat (or should I say bowl-like?) New Orleans, so Michigan is a welcome change. Guess Oregon's even more extreme. :-)

Glad you have a nice kitchen view, though - hope the garage one changes soon!