Friday, October 23, 2009

Bird and Squirrel Channel

I thought I'd post one more blog entry about the things I'll miss about Michigan. We like to joke that the only channels we get here are the "Bird and Squirrel Channel". Truth be told, they're my favorite! They're free and just outside the window. As a former "wild-life person", I've always loved watching critters. I personally prefer the bird channel, as does the cat, but the dog is most definitely captivated by the squirrel channel, ready to interact if given the chance.

Lately we've had a house invader of the rodent/squirrel variety. These pesky critters, while cute, can cause so much damage! If I had to pick though, my favorite would be the black squirrels we get up here. I've never seen them anywhere else.

Of the birds, my favorite on our channel is the tufted titmouse and the pileated woodpecker. These are giant birds! We also get the occasional Bald Eagle and Loon flying overhead too. Since we're in a dense woodland, we mostly get wood peckers, but what a variety! These birds stay here year round too. I'm a bit partial to these birds, as well as the chickadee, nuthatches and titmice who live here year round. They are truly hardy creatures.

I thought I'd post a few pictures we've take over the years for you to enjoy!












2 comments:

Laura Martone said...

I love this channel! And, obviously, so does my kitty. Already, I think she's missing the black squirrels, chipmunks, woodpeckers, bobcats, eagles, hummingbirds, and deer that used to pass our house in Michigan. Here in Metairie, she gets animals of a different variety - weird people and big dogs - curious but not nearly as interesting.

BTW, I love your photos - they're excellent. The one of your kitty watching the chipmunk is especially hilarious... and oddly familiar. ;-)

Becky said...

LOL! Right down to their "camo" color too! Thanks. I think Biko is going to miss Michigan the most! Luckily Chris found us a house that has a big open field behind us, so hopefully we'll still get good reception on our critter channel.