Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Under the weather

I'm afraid I've been a bit under the weather lately. But I think I'm turning the corner. I've also been swamped with the usual Christmas hustle and bustle... getting cards done, presents made, and eBay packages, from recent sales sent out.

Speaking of weather, Pendleton got hit pretty hard with a winter storm over the week-end and first part of the week. I think we got 4-6 inches by the time it was all over, but then we got freezing rain that coated already slick surfaces with ice. What a mess! I learned that I need a drivable car ASAP! Today I bought chains for the Honda, and after Christmas (and my root canal), we're going to try to get the Subaru fixed, so I'll have 4-wheel drive again. I'm so glad I'm not having to get to a hospital job like I was previously in Oregon. Oh, and apparently Pendleton does not have a snow plow. Curious... They do have a truck that comes and spreads sand and rocks, but that's it!

Sooo.... I got all of our snow clothes out over the week-end, and thought I'd share with you my own weather indicator. It's my boots!



You see, the length goes up as the weather gets worse, and snow gets deeper. In Michigan, the first pair of boots only got worn in the Fall and Spring. The other 2 pairs were worn during the Winter, which was pretty much 6 months out of the year. I consider myself fortunate here to have only JUST dug these out this year. I'm not sure I'll wear my big black pair here in Pendleton, unless we go into the mountains. I use these for my snow shoes too. Today, I have on the middle pair, as there is still a lot of slush on the ground, but it's melting fast! There's just nothing worse than stepping gout of the car and having your shoes fill up with cold slush!

That said, here's some pictures of our recent winter wonderland. Enjoy!




No comments: