Monday, October 4, 2010

Contests and day tripping

Over the week-end, I decided to take a day trip that I've wanted to take ever since we moved here, almost a year ago. I packed the kids and the dog into our car and set out for Joseph, Oregon and Lake Wallowa.

As we headed down Hwy 82, which is also designated as "Hell's Canyon Scenic Byway" broad farmlands narrowed down to rim rock, then to the steep canyon of the Wallawa River. As the valley opened up, we saw dozens of people fishing in hip waders in the river. The Wallowa Mountains towered over us as we continued driving through the towns of Wallowa and Enterprise.
Finally we arrived at the town of Joseph, Oregon, just North of Lake Wallowa. Joseph is a town surrounded by beautiful mountains, wilderness and water.
It's not too surprising that it is also home to many artists who give the town a touch of class and comfort. While we didn't have much time to shop or eat at the many places in town, we did stop at "Cattle Country Quilts", a wonderful quilt store with lots of outdoors and wildlife fabrics. They recommended a stop at R and R Drive-In for yummy milkshakes for the drive back.

With Hell's Canyon and the Eagle Cap Wilderness still out there to explore, I'm sure we'll be back very soon to this beautiful corner of the state.

In regards to travel, I wanted to take the opportunity to mention a travel contest that Travel Oregon is having right now. It's a "Wanderfeast", a culinary trip through Oregon that you design yourself. Details can be found at their website. I'm afraid I can't enter because of my parental obligations, but maybe one of you can!!

For my fellow quilters, I also just entered into 2 contests for an Accuquilt Go! Cutter at the "Diary of a Quilter" Blog, and at "Alderwood Quilts" Blog. If you're interested, head to their websites and enter! Doesn't everyone love a contest?

No comments: