Saturday, January 29, 2011

Fun-a-day 29: Trichomonas


(Oh no she DIDN'T!).  Yes I did!  I debated on whether or not to include this STD / parasite, but I'm afraid it's just another one of those things that are really neat to see under a microscope, even if they're not so much fun if it's your sample that it's found in!  Tricomonas vaginalis is one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases.  It's caused by a single celled protozoa (much like Giardia), and is also considered a parasite.

In the lab, we'd see it in wet preps from OB and ER, or sometimes we'd also see it in a urine sample.  The organism looks similar to a white blood cell, but once you see it moving, or motile, there's no mistaking what it is.  I found this video of it on youtube if you want to see it in action (hope it works).  Luckily it's a curable (and preventable) disease!

I also spent the last few days getting more kindle covers onto my Etsy shop.  I tried for a long time to get a "button" on my blog here.  I think I might have FINALLY figured it out!!  I'm afraid the computer is much more of a challenge to me than any sewing endeavor!  I can't believe that tomorrow will be my last quilt block!  I plan to spend Monday getting it all sewn together!  Wish me luck!

No comments: